Kilmarnock vs Rangers previewMay 17, 2019
Kilmarnock vs Rangers preview: Jon Flanagan back for Rugby Park finale
Last Updated: 17/05/19 3:27pm
Rangers will be able to call on reprieved Jon Flanagan in their Scottish Premiership finale at Kilmarnock on Sunday.
The former Liverpool defender was cited by the Scottish Football Association after a post-match video consultation suggested he had elbowed Celtic’s Scott Brown during Sunday’s Old Firm game.
But it was confirmed on Friday afternoon that Rangers had won their appeal over the retrospective red card.
Celtic might be on track for another treble but Gers have struck upon a winning formula since their Old Firm defeat at Parkhead, with last weekend’s derby triumph their sixth in a row.
“I’ve just been told we’ve never had a clean sweep of wins after the split so that is a good incentive for us,” Gers assistant boss McAllister, speaking in place of boss Steven Gerrard, said. “We’re on a good run so it will be nice to finish on a high and have that buoyancy for next season.”
Kilmarnock are looking to cap a fine season by sealing third spot but manager Steve Clarke will have to watch the final game of the season from the stands after being handed a two-match touchline ban following recent comments about referee Steven McLean.
But his Killie future remains in doubt amid links to the Scotland job and assistant Alex Dyer has admitted Clarke would find the national job hard to turn down.
While Flanagan is available, Nikola Katic and Scott Arfield will miss the Rugby Park clash after both were given extra time off ahead of summer commitments with Croatia’s U21s and Canada respectively.
But Graham Dorrans could end his seven-month knee injury nightmare against Steve Clarke’s side.
“Graham has featured well in training recently,” said McAllister. “He’s had a couple of games behind closed doors and done very well so Graham will come into consideration for the weekend definitely.”
Kilmarnock winger Jordan Jones is set to out against the side he will be joining in the summer after picking up a shoulder injury.
Midfielder Adam Frizzell (foot) and defender Scott Boyd (knee) are also out.
- Kilmarnock are unbeaten in five home Scottish Premiership matches vs Rangers (W3 D2) since losing 5-1 to them in May 2011.
- In all competitions, Rangers have only lost once in six meetings with Kilmarnock in 2018-19 under Steven Gerrard (W2 D3), a 1-2 defeat in January 2019 at Rugby Park.
- Kilmarnock have won back-to-back league games, both by a 1-0 scoreline, and are looking to win three on the bounce for the first time since January, when the third win in the run was at home to Rangers.
- Rangers have won six consecutive Scottish Premiership games, their best winning streak in the division since they won nine in succession between July and October 2011 under Ally McCoist.
- Rangers have scored 11 goals against Kilmarnock in all competitions in 2018-19 – forward Alfredo Morelos has netted nine of those (82 per cent).
Source of this (above) article: https://www.skysports.com/football/kilmarnock-vs-rangers/preview/406788